Columnar milestone (h:
1.85 x diam.:
0.44) of grey limestone.
Text: Inscribed within a moulded border, (die, 0.31 0.49), with two incised scrolls above.
Date: CE 14-17 (titulature, prosopography)
Cardo Maximus; on the west side, immediately south west of the Arch of Septimius Severus. Found in 1934.
Original location: Findspot: start of the Eastern Jabal Road.
Last recorded location: Findspot
Translation by: J. M. Reynolds
On the order of emperor Tiberius Caesar Augustus, Lucius Aurelius Lamia, proconsul, built(scil. a road) from the town southwards for forty-four miles.
Bibliography: Guidi, 1929, 238, whence AE, 1936.157; Romanelli, 1939, 104 ft., fig. 10, whence AE, 1940.69; Goodchild, 1948, 6, p.12; Ehrenberg-Jones, 1949 291; IRT, 1952, 930, whence IRT, 2009, 930, whence EDH 024501; for BSR images see BSR Digital Collections.