Description: Double stele (w:
0.45 x h:
1.87 x d:
0.45) of coarse brown limestone,
culminating in two triangular points, inscribed on one face within two adjacent moulded panels
0.16 x h:
On the right side of the stele is a lightly incised rectangle with the upper short end rounded,
and above it, slightly to the left, a crude disc in relief;
above this, and appearing to stand on the top of the stele, an 8-spoked wheel in high relief.
On the left side, opposite the wheel, is a funerary urn in high relief.
Text: Inscribed on one face within two adjacent moulded panels, with one line of the left-hand text being cut below its panel.
Letters: Irregular late capitals: (a) line 1, 0.04; line 2, 0.047; line 3, 0.049; line 4, 0.05; line 5-7, 0.04; line 8, 0.055. (b) line 1, 0.035; line 2-5, 0.04; line 6, 0.036; line 7, 0.04.
Date: Third-fourth centuries CE (lettering)
Lepcis Magna: Found 1953 by Mr. John Cassels
within the circuit of the first century wall, near the presumed site of the East gate, at a depth of c. 5 ft.
Original location: Unknown
Last recorded location: Lepcis Museum. .
Translation by: J. M. Reynolds
(a): Sacred to the gods below; Claudius Stiddin had the monument made in his lifetime for his descendants.
(b): Sacred to the gods below; Claudius Ladas had the monument made in his lifetime (scil. for himself) and for his descendants.