Description: Upper part of a limestone
1.96 x diam.:
0.34) tapering slightly towards the top and terminating in an outward-curving flange;
reassembled from two pieces, each damaged above and below.
Text: Inscribed within a panel (0.30
defined by two lightly incised lines, having an ansa, similarly defined, at the top.
Letters: Late capitals, carefully cut; ave. 0.035.
Date: Mid fourth - fifth century. (context)
Ghirza; One of the two pieces was found in 1953 on the slope in front of Mausoleum A in the group nearest the habitations.
The second was found in 1955 inside the underground burial chamber of the same mausoleum. he primary inscription of this mausoleum
(899) is still in situ above its door.
Original location: Unknown
Last recorded location:
-c̣ịs memorator -Ṃ-
[..]neorum est -Mọṇ-
[.]san filius Uoc--
5ỊỊS omnibus par-
rentibus pos[uit] (sic)
quis et U[c. 7]
uros n(umero) LỊ qu-
15[unum?] capros [n(umero)]
Translation by: J. M. Reynolds
The following [---] commemorator of the M[..]nei is Mon[.]san, son of Voc[.]is; he set up for all his ?family ?for whom [---] the day (accusative case) of his victories he presented the sacrificial animals of the ?parentalia, bulls to the number of fifty-one, goats to the
number of thirty-eight [---]
Bibliography: Reynolds, 1955, S.22, whence AE 1957.243, whence EDH 017462 IRT, 2009, 994, whence EDH 017462
None available (2021).